We are very excited for the 2020-2021 school year! We will be continuing the MFL STEAM Fellowship and are searching for ten elementary or middle school teachers to participate.
MFL STEAM Fellows will have the benefit of working with the Mobile Fab Lab in an ongoing manner, allowing students to gain a deeper interest and understanding of how the machines work and the content.
MFL Fellows will also have the opportunity to ‘lease’ MFL desktop equipment to use in their own classrooms, including a 3D printer, mini electric Xacto knife and design laptop after completing training on the machines.
If you are a principal, please forward this information to your teachers who you think would be a good fit!
Laser Cutting Projects
Laser cutting projects will take place on the MFL Trailer in the fall. These projects require students to do some 2d design work and iteration to build something out of wood, acyrlic, or leather.
Students will learn the basics of 3D printing and design three projects! These projects will take place in the winter time in the classroom. The MFL team will bring a 3D printer into your classroom.
Vinyl Cutting Projects
Students will create logos, tshirts, backpacks or more! These projects will take place in the winter time in the classroom. The MFL team will bring a vinyl cutter into your classroom.
Art students will create wonderful art projects using digital fabrication! Art teachers will work closely with the MFL team to design projects for students of any age. Art teachers can expect 3 visits in the fall, 1 visit in the winter(in the classroom) and 1 visit in the spring.
- All applicants must be:
- a CMSD teacher who teachers grades 3-8 of any subject.
- able to coordinate three to five Mobile Fab Lab (MFL) visits in the 2020-2021 school year (this includes working with your principal and building team to find a place for the trailer to park and how to get kids in and out of the building)
- willing to work with the MFL team
- able to attend one Intro Meeting on July 1st, 8th or 15th
- able to attend a quarterly MFL Fellow meet up at EPC
- willing to attend machine training if they want to ‘lease’ equipment
- Use of the MFL is free to all CMSD schools.
- The MFL team will be reaching out to principals of the finalists for a recommendation.
- If a CMSD teacher completes a full year of the fellowship, including machine training they can earn up to 3 CEUs in June of the year of completion. (starting in 2020-2021)
Not ready to be a MFL STEAM Teacher? Or do you teach K -2?
If you’re not ready for the commitment to be a MFL STEAM Teacher or teach younger students, apply for a Single Day MFL Experience. Exposure activities can be done with students of any age, k-12. These activities are designed to expose students to the technology of the MFL and to create something for their classroom or something to take home. These activities can be done in a short period of time, anywhere from twenty minutes to an hour and range in ability level and content connections.
Questions? Please Email the MFL coordinator- Sarah Wallace at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for the MFL Fellowship please complete the following online application form
(this will take 10-15 minutes)
All applications must be completed by May 31st at 11:59 pm